Posted on: January 15, 2021
Are sash windows right for you?
Have you ever driven around an adorable village and thought what makes these houses so much more homely than mine?
Well one of those things might be your style of window. Today we’re going to explain the sash window and whether its the right choice for your home.
What is a sash window?
A sash window is an old style of window, originating in England some of the original sash windows in England date all the way back to the 1670s.
Sash windows are generally paned glass, held together in a frame, one side can be pushed up and down allowing you to open your window. Newer sash windows can also have double glazing and more detailed pane work.
Main Positives of Sash Windows:
- With new development in double glazing sash windows keep your house warm and safe
- They are easy to use and add some historic charm to any home
- Lots of design choices available to customize your home, and really have your windows suit your house
- They can increase the value of your home
- They reduce noise pollution in your home
- They are easy to maintain and continue looking beautiful long after installation
If you are considering installing sash windows but haven’t made your decision yet you’re probably considering the cost, click here to see our full breakdown of costs.
It’s import to note that these costs will vary widely and getting multiple quotes is a great idea to get an idea of all of your options.
The cost of uPVC sash windows for standard sizes can range from £200 to £300 for the most basic designs, not including labour to install, which varies on a case by case basis.
This basis depends on the current windows you have installed, the condition of your home and a few other factors.
The price of sash windows made of timber instead of uPVC is dependant on the size and complexity of the windows. A sash window that would cost £200 in uPVC would start around £500 in a timber box.
If you have any more questions to put to rest before taking the dive into sash windows don’t hesitate to contact our team!